Sunday, March 16, 2014

Ok, So What Is Hydrocephalus?


Hydrocephalus is the abnormal accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) within the ventricles in the brain. Hydrocephalus can be developed before or after birth, or after a significant injury to the head. In my case I developed it after birth. Because I was born premature, the blood vessels in my brain were ‘delicate’. So, I ended up developing a “brain bleed” (grade IV Intra-Ventricular Hemorrhage, or IVH). This caused scarring in my ventricles and the CSF was unable to drain properly. 
The most common treatment for Hydrocephalus is a shunt- a catheter, a pressure valve, and a tube. The catheter goes through the brain in to the ventricle that is affected and pulls the CSF into the pressure valve. Once enough pressure builds up, CSF is released down the tube into the heart or abdomen (my tubing goes into my abdomen). Basically, it’s like the scarring is a roadblock and the shunt is a detour for the CSF.
The shunt fails pretty often. I have had 4 revisions and 1 complete replacement and there are many people that have had way more, for example, another girl my age has had almost 70 revisions/replacements. There are also those few lucky people that the ONLY surgery was the initial placement of the shunt!
Of the people I have met with Hydrocephalus, I hear a different story every time! There are many different ways to develop Hydrocephalus, many different treatments, and everyone has their own combination of side effects, disabilities, symptoms, and types of shunt failures!





* Ok, if you are a neurosurgeon reading this…I know this is probably not considered medically accurate; I was just trying to keep it simple. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment